Dangerous Laughter

This was one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever read. While first reading I was expecting laughing club/laughing parlor to be a code for something bad or unacceptable these young teens were doing. I found it very ironic that Clara died from laughing because there are so many sayings about laughter being the best medicine and good for your health. It wasn’t what I was expecting. I think that’s one of the reasons I like the story so much. I never knew what was coming next.

I enjoyed the details through out the story. My favorite description is on page 80 when Millhauser describes Clara. “She was difficult to picture clearly– a little pale, her hair dark in some elusive shade between brown and black, her eyes hidden under lowered lids that sometimes opened suddenly to reveal large, startled irises. She wore trim knee-length skirts and solid-colored cotton blouses that looked neatly ironed.” I feel like I learn so much about her, not just what she looks like physically, but also something else that makes her who she is. I like that we only get the point of view of one person. I don’t find myself wanting to know what Clara was thinking. I felt like I got to know her character as well as I needed to through the descriptions and events happening with her.