None of the Above

This story had so many characteristics of a Rivecca story.  She has lots of similar themes throughout the collection, like school, abuse, and the most prominent, confusion.  Each story has a different level of confusion that the narrator is dealing with, a sort of A vs. B type of dichotomy that they are trying to grapple with throughout the narrative, which is what makes it so compelling and lifelike.  It’s the lack of understanding, and I think the fact that the characters never really come to a full comprehension of how to exactly articulate what it is that they feel that makes these stories so incredibly rich.  The heart of the matter is this: you can’t simply spell out life.  The real world isn’t made up of symbols that can explain everything to us, if we look for them hard enough.  Sometimes the growth and change isn’t understanding, but accepting or recognizing that we don’t understand.  Every single feeling and reaction that we encounter from Rivecca feels so incredibly real, it feels so poignant and I always know specifically and exactly which emotion she is tapping into, its never something we have to interpret or look for, it’s right out there for us to feel too.  This is the reason I love these stories so much.  They feel like real life.  I feel a heck of a lot of different things, and in the end, I don’t always have a firm conclusion, or a nice summation of exactly what happened, or what will happen now.