None of the Above

I have always enjoyed Rivecca’s stories. This one, however, has to be my favorite. Even though it was longer than some we have read, it didn’t drag out. I never once got tired of reading it, nor did my attention stray from the story. I felt like the narrator was easy to relate too because if I were put in that situation, I would probably dig into the the reasons why a student would always come to class with gashes and scrapes. It’s logical to be concerned and wanting to know the truth, especially if it were a young kid.

I thought it was interesting how Peter was always so “perfect”. He never showed signs of abuse or anything like that, but he was different than the other kids. If I were put in the same situation as Alma, I would be concerned. When she sits down to talk to Peter’s parents, that is when she tries to get answers. Both parents are hesitant when answering her questions, which would point to abuse or something else, but when Peter tells her that he has a pet tiger living with them really surprised me. Honestly, I thought his story was very convincing seeing as he is younger and spoke to her like an adult about it. Which again, made the story more interesting because of how the narrator described the characters personalities and way they approach situations.

The day that Alma goes to see if Peter actually had the flu threw me off guard. I know I said that his story about a pet tiger was convincing, but I did not expect it to be true. Of course, her reaction to seeing the tiger was expected, but you always have to remember that a pet is a pet. If she had seen a dog, she would not have responded the way she did, which I thought was a little much. The tiger was not causing her harm, and the fact that Peter had trained it and what-not would make the tiger a safe animal. No parent would allow their child to be around a dangerous thing. At least, I would hope.

Finally, the scene at the end when Alma and Peter are in the kitchen, the narrator tells us that even though Alma was freaking out about the tiger, her biggest fear was what Peter said to her while she was on the phone. I too, would have been more afraid of him rather than the tiger because of how we have interpreted his character. I believed that he meant that one day she will be sorry for what she is doing. Peter has yet to lie or make it seem like he doesn’t follow through on what he says. All in all, I believe that the major issue of the story was Peter all along. Not abuse, not the gashes, the tiger, but Peter himself. It’s those types of kids teachers should watch out for, because no one really knows what they may be capable of doing in the future.