My feelings towards this story are incredibly similar to my feelings on “Consummation”. I feel like it has a lot of conflict, drama, and interesting language going on, but I dont’ quite understand why. The length of the story obviously gives it more of an opportunity to divulge information, yet I don’t think it truly does. I suppose all of this is foreshadowed by the first line though.

As one of the longest stories we’ve had to read yet, I was both dreading and thrilled to begin. I was excited to see what dynamic and emotional storyline Rivecca could procure in the span of forty pages. I was disappointed. While I appreciate her imagination and believe she is a great writer, I don’t understand why I want to read the story. It’s creepy, it’s weird, and it’s like nothing I’ve read before, but I don’t know why it’s a story. These are almost exactly the same feelings I had towards “Consummation”. The story follows Isabel, who recently published a book and wants to find a new apartment. The landlord for the place she wanted is creepy, sends her weird emails, and eventually changed his opinion of her based on her book (which is a memoir). What I don’t particularly understand is why she is so paranoid about the contents of her memoir. A bit of explaining is done on page 154 but it doesn’t give me enough information to be able to relate to Isabel’s pain. Also, towards the ending, the court scene is played off as being a powerful situation in which Isabel overcomes her stalker. I just don’t see it. She says a few things and the judge apathetically grants her a restraining order. There is no moving exciting speech. I don’t mind that there isn’t, but why does it have to be written like she just made one giant leap for woman-kind? I feel like the story’s lost elements of clarity turn the story into a less effective, boring forty pages worth of bumbling.

What is interesting to me though, is that Rivecca tells us so. I mean, I feel like the story was a waste of reading it, but maybe she sees it that way as well. The first sentence in the story is “After it was over, it seemed silly to say shed been in danger.” Even she admits that the story is┬ádramatized. At the same time though, I feel this is the opinion of Isabel, and not the opinion of the writer. It is all very confusing to me. Especially the conclclusion. I feel as the the story is just haphazardly wrapped up with no real ending or discovery, just a kind of apathetic passing of time. Which I suppose there is nothing wrong with, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

As is true for any story, maybe I just read it wrong. Maybe I came in to the story expecting something more grand than there really was. Maybe I missed the grandeur all together. Either way, I don’t think this story is effective, eye-opening, or interesting to me as a reader. I feel as apathetic, if not less engaged, after reading it then I did prior to and while I was reading it. Better luck next time.