Consummation

“Consummation,” along with the lot of Rivecca’s short stories, reminds me of just how envious I am not only of her ability to create quite intelligent conflict throughout her stories, but also of her knack for crafting eloquent, twisted uses of language and syntactical flair. Making the narrator seem as if her intention was to thank the doctor who saved her father’s life when really she was to reveal the dynamics of her and her father’s relationship was not only surprising, but smart on Rivecca’s part. It added that certain element of content that “cutesy” or Disney-esque story plots don’t possess, making everything in those stories “fall into place” in the end. That decision to add a deeper material sometimes leaves questions, but the story is still all the more satisfying.

I noticed that throughout “Consummation” Rivecca used plenty of long sentences: something that has been pointed out in my own writing. They weren’t frustrating, but actually enlightening. I have a tendency to produce some sloppy sentences that are stretched to their limit with details and thoughts combined, but Rivecca’s lengthy sentences were consistent and precise in all their detail and mechanics. Some of her writing had me rummaging for my dictionary, but I thought that process was actually more refreshing than thwarting. Incorporating advanced or scholarly vocabulary into my own stories, I feel, would be quite the accomplishment, for they also add a new element to the voice of the narrator and their own character.

This story was very satisfying in its conflict development and “meatiness” as well as its syntactical unconventionality and profuse use of language. These elements are all something I envy, but also look forward to achieve in my own writing.