Consummation

This story by Rivecca was both confusing and wonderful for me. At first I thought the narrator was talking or writing to the Doctor that saved her father’ life, but I don’t think that is the case. I enjoyed the story as a whole, but it took me several tries to really understand what was going on. I still am not entirely sure how the narrator feels about her father, but I don’t think the narrator really knows either. I think the confusion I felt throughout the story was reflective to the story itself. It was easy to see that small events that happened over the course of her life were the causes of her resenting her father, but we never find out if there was one big defining moment when she decided that she was going to hate her father.

I liked the descriptions Rivecca used throughout the story. The first paragraph about her home shows the divide between the doctor and her father even though she has just said they work at the same place. Later on page 180 in the last paragraph the issue is brought up again. She says she is mad at him for not sticking it out to be a doctor because then they could have had nicer things in life. Her father didn’t have a salary like the doctor did. The family lived off year-to-year grants. My favorite description is the one of her father when he is sick on page 176. “His lips were almost indistinguishable from the crusted, ravaged jelly of the rest of his face his eyeballs dark yellow, his skinny body glowing red as sunburn.” I looked up pictures of people that have Stevens-Johnson syndrome and that line of the story is the exact image that will forever be burned into my brain.

The line of the story that was most powerful to me starts at the top of page 183. “I will never know what it is like to save a person’s life. And you, Doctor, will never know what it is to be a man’s daughter.” There is so much resentment and anger that seeps out of those two lines. They are so simple, but they were the lines that had the most effect on me.