Between the Lines

I thought that “Between the Lines” was an interesting way of telling this story.  It could have had so many different focuses, and it could have followed the plotline of the stepsister’s death in a moment by moment type frame, but instead it’s almost like the narrator has written us a letter to tell us everything about her, or we met her at the supermarket and she’s going to tell us what’s what in town.  She prides herself on knowing what she knows, she repeats it multiple times throughout the story, which to me emphasizes the things that she doesn’t know.  She gathers all of this information, but it is always coming from somewhere else, like her daughter or her neighbor.  She starts out just as ignorant as everyone else and then is able to publish the news for others, which makes her feel like she controls it.  If the town is as small as they make it sound, everyone probably already knows it by the time she’s written about it.

I loved that we could get her entire life’s story, it seemed, through the conversation about one day.  I was just woven in with everything else so we didn’t hardly realize what we were getting, it didn’t feel like the story’s information was being forced on us.

One part of the story I’m not entirely sure I understand is her relationship with her husband.  I can see some of the faults in it, but they seem to treat each other all right, besides the whole cheating thing which lets you know their marriage is shit, but we don’t really see any other evidence, and that is evidence that is completely covered up to them–they don’t know if the other one knows about it, they assume they don’t.  I wish I could really figure out how they stay together and what their relationship is founded on.  I think we get a little of that through the daughters marriage, but I still feel like I’m missing something, I can’t hear it in her voice.