Dead Confederates

I like that this story started off with the ending, but not what I thought was going to happen. It makes it seem that the narrator killed him, but come to find out that’s not what happened.  The voice in this story was confusing for me to follow at first, but it got easier for me as I kept reading. By the end of this story I felt like I was down south with them in the graveyard. My favorite description was the one of the grave keeper. I had a vision of a wrinkled, southern man that was very vivid in my mind. Although this story ended in death, I was happy that the narrator was able to keep all the money for himself to help his family. The author made it seem very easy and natural that he would give all of the money to his mother. I wouldn’t have expected this character to do anything other than with the money.

One Response to “Dead Confederates”

1. Kaitlin says:

I thought it seemed appropriate for the narrator to give his mother all the money he got because that’s a very small-town, Southern thing to do. Because the communities are so close-knit, children are expected to take care of their parents more than they are in other parts of the U.S. Also, at one point the narrator talked about how he didn’t think it was fair for some people to work hard and make a lot of money and for others to work just as hard and make hardly any money. After that, giving the money to his mother was the most natural thing in the world for him to do.

The other part of the story where I really paid attention to place was when Wesley died. Only in a graveyard can a man fall down dead and not cause people to wonder why. The narrator gave no reason for Wesley’s sudden death and did not seem curious in the least. Since he was in a graveyard, it made sense for him to accept something bordering on the paranormal and instead focus on escaping.