Big Girl

When I first started reading this story I thought the voice sounded like a child’s. For the entire story I was just waiting for her to finally grow up. The desperation with which she dreams about Billy, and with which she tries to make her happy, reminded me of a kid trying to appease an angry, abusive, or drunken parent, a situation she would have been familiar with. While she takes on the role of caregiver to absolutely everyone she comes into contact with, for some reason I still couldn’t shake this image of her. The voice fed into this, her dedication to Billy regardless of his treatment towards her (although he continued coming home at least, which her parents couldn’t seem to manage), her desire to feel needed throughout the entire story, and her constant for the church and school keep us wondering exactly what someone could possibly do to her or ask of her in order to make her into the bold narrator we encounter.

So far Smith’s characters drive me crazy. In “Bob, a Dog” and “Big Girl” the narrator is weak and has no self-respect for the majority of the story. This makes them frustrating for me to read.

2 Responses to “Big Girl”

1. Sarah says:

I totally agree about the pattern of characters in Smith’s stories. It was getting a little overdone.

2. Sarah says:

I agree with you about the patterns in Smith’s stories. It was feeling a little hard to read.