Yours Will Do Nicely

The complexity of the conflicts and the characters of “Yours Will Do Nicely” makes me extremely jealous. I wish my name could be stamped upon this story, and I could invoke some of the reactions Rivecca’s writing pulled from me as I read. I found myself unapologetically embarrassed sitting on my bed erupting into fits of laughter and gasps with my roommate in the opposite corner of the room staring back at me in bewilderment.

Katrina’s both internal and external conflicts are so complexly developed throughout the entire story. What struck me most about both of the protagonist’s conflicts is how well Rivecca interwove them, doing so via Katrina’s letter to Jason. Katrina so eloquently constructs this letter that is supposedly revealing so much of the person she has grown to become; that which she was reluctant to reveal in the first place even to herself. In the end, we learn that the letter (in all its carefully detailed glory) is fake… or as Katrina explained, fabricated.

As much as I try to map out a complex character in my own stories, I seem to falter in revealing things I may know about that character to the reader that can be vital in constructing the perfect conflict. Rivecca does this so well with her Katrina. Though Katrina is a static character in the end, her journey (sleeping with Jason, “opening up” to the fellow, then confessing the false revealing) from beginning to end is dynamic. In this, I only hope that something will spark into my little head to reveal every thought of my protagonists to the reader; I remain stubborn in the notion that too much detail will ruin the ending.