The first thing I noticed about this story, I didn’t like. The first paragraph reminded me of the way I wrote early on in my college career; the characteristic drop into a story without much of an entrance,  the summary of what was happening in a common way, then the single long sentence filled with sensory descriptions. It just didn’t feel very real. After the first paragraph, I felt the story pick up, and instead of taking a downhill turn, it became something interesting and different. I appreciated the line “He looked like the kind of person who ate Clif bars. Which was fine.” It was at this moment that I recognized the writing style as indicative of the narrator’s voice, not the writer’s. Her voice strengthens along with her personality when she responds to the comment that she looks sad, with “I’m not sad, this is just the way my face looks.” Thank you! I was relieved. This was a real person. A believable character who isn’t necessarily a grade A scholar, but one who has a definite personality that I haven’t witnessed before in a story, and one who could be me or one of my friends. The friends, Rachel and Tom, are equally believable and it is they who create the setting and the place and time- the flippant replies and conversational sarcasm. What is most interesting about this story is how Katrina seems so normal and average and yet she, as a relatively unreliable narrator, is not normal or moderately satisfied with herself. Jason’s purpose in the story is to show us how Katrina navigates the change from cool, chill, relaxed, normal girl, to the emotionally strained, attatched, TMI divulging, and desperate girl. Katrina is the kind of girl who sets herself up for failure and then beats herself up for making the same mistakes. Its an endless cycle and yet it is almost natural and comfortable by this point in her life. Rivecca had me completely fooled but it all made sense in the end that Katrina was the type of girl who would always push people away and  never really comprehend why. She lied because she felt that what she said could be true, because it would “explain the unhappy accident” of herself. However, those lies would fall away as easily as a heavy hanging on a weak drywall.