Yours Will Do Nicely

The characters are alive and they have taken over. They have told us volumes about themselves simply through what they say. It could be about something that has little to no importance to the story and it would not only tell us about their character, but about how they have been living.

It could be a line as simple as “I’m kinda obsessed with tea. And it’s all organic.” What is important here is the words that Rivecca uses in that sentence. The two that stick out to me the most are “obsessed” and “organic”. This points out that the character not only drinks tea, but she drinks a whole lot of tea. Enough tea that she herself admits to being obsessed, even if it is in a more offhand and joking kind of way. It gives it enough strength that tea has some sort of connection to that person. It would be like if one of my fellow classmates would hold her hand up and say “I’m kinda obsessed with coffee” in a dry, almost sarcastic tone but at the same time with eyes open wide and sincere about it. The word “organic” gives us a clue in that the character is either a really big health food nut or is probably some sort of hippe-wanna-be or just wants to look cool and knowledgeable.

It is amazing how a writer could write these lines that could sound like throw-away phrases, but they actually set up a place in time (my parents would not call themselves obsessed with something because being obsessed with something would be a really bad thing to them. But my classmates would) and set up what sort of person that character would actually be if they were real. So, to the sarcastic, tea-loving, grammar correcting, patchouli incense burning, lying main character, you will do nicely.